Treat your loved one to an easy, yet elegant, crepe dish with cherries, apples and powdered sugar
Paterson, N.J. – Feb. 5, 2015 – If you’re dining at home this Valentine’s Day, remember that a delicious dessert is the way to your lover’s heart. This year, try making an easy, yet elegant, crepe dish with cherries, apples and powdered sugar.
Cherries are packed with feel-good vitamins A and C, potassium, magnesium, folate, iron, and more. Kontos Foods, provider of flatbreads, crepes and other ethnic foods, suggests using ready-made French-Style Crepes to make Apple-Cherry Crepe Purses.
This romantic, restaurant-style dessert will make both of you feel extra special on February 14:
Apple-Cherry Crepe Purse
2 Kontos French-Style Traditional Crepes
3 Granny Smith apples, cubed and stewed with a dash of cinnamon
2 cans of cherry pie filling
½ teaspoon of butter
Navel orange peel
¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
Mint leaves for garnish
1. Cut the apples into small cubes, stew lightly with a dash of cinnamon.
2. Drain stewed apples, mix with one can of cherry pie filling.
3. Warm the mixture in a saucepan or in the microwave.
4. Open your second can of cherry pie filling and lift out 10 cherries. Set the cherries aside for garnish.
5. Cut a thin orange peel strip from your navel orange peel – making the strip as long as possible – set aside.
6. Warm your Kontos French-style crepes in a lightly buttered skillet for one minute each side.
7. Lay each crepe flat. Arrange apple-cherry filling in center of crepe and bring up edges of crepe to center.
8. Pick up edges of crepe, twist gently to enclose filling.
9. Tie the orange peel strip around the crepe to form a purse.
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; garnish with four or five cherries and mint leaves.
“Apple-cherry crepe purses are easy to make, so you can spend more time focusing on each other and less time in the kitchen,” said Steve Kontos, vice president and owner of Kontos Foods. “This simple recipe will delight both you and your dinner partner, bringing a touch of French elegance to your meal.”
Kontos 9-inch French Style Traditional Crepes come six to a pack, in 4.66 oz zipper packages. Kontos sells its products to retailers and foodservice establishments across North America and around the world. Find Kontos Foods on Twitter @KontosFoods, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Kontosfoods and on Pinterest at https://www.pinterest.com/kontosfoods/.
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, New Jersey-based provider of traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, olives, gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as nearly 50 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos, which has over 225 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos with his son Steven, together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. The company’s bread and Fillo products are made in the USA. Visit www.kontos.com or call (973) 278-2800.
Kontos Foods Inc.
(973) 278-2800, ext. 326