Paterson, N.J. – April 1, 2014 – Everyfamily has its own favorite Easter dishes, such as roasted lamb or a spiral ham. What makes many Easter dinners truly special, however, are the side dishes.
This year, why not offer your guests delicious, flaky Spanakopita – delicious spinach pie? Spanakopita is made with Fillo Dough, filled with spinach, leeks, dill, parsley, and crumbled Feta cheese.
Spanakopita makes an attractive side dish for any meal; it can also serve as a main entrée for your vegetarian guests. Chef Demetrios Haralambatos, the executive chef at Kontos Foods (www.kontos.com), a Paterson, N.J. provider of traditional Mediterranean foods, recommends this recipe:
- 2 pounds spinach, steamed, squeezed, chopped, and drained (or frozen spinach; fully thawed)
- 1 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- One leek, chopped or 1/4 cup green onion (scallion) chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup olive oil for brushing pastry
- 12 sheets Fillo dough (#5)
- Mix together the spinach, Feta, dill, parsley, leeks, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Brush the bottom of an 8×8 inch baking pan with olive oil.
- Place a sheet of Fillo dough in the pan, brush lightly with olive oil. Use kitchen scissors to trim the Fillo to fit. Repeat until you have 6 layers, lightly brushing each layer with Olive Oil.
- Place the spinach and greens mixture on top of the 6 layers of Fillo dough, in an even layer. Flatten with a spatula.
- To create a “top” for your spinach pie, layer another six pieces of Fillo dough on top of the spinach mixture, brushing each layer with olive oil as you go.
- Bake for 30-50 minutes at 350⁰ F, until golden brown.
To learn more about Kontos Fillo dough (also known as Phyllo or Filo dough), visit www.kontos.com. You can also find Kontos Foods on Twitter@KontosFoods or on Facebook at www.facebook/KontosFoods. Photos are available upon request.
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, NJ-based provider of traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, olives, gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as nearly 50 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos, which has over 225 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos together with his son Steven, together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. To learn more, visit www.kontos.com, or call (973) 278-2800.
Fastlane on Behalf of Kontos
Kontos Foods Inc.
(973) 278-2800, ext. 326